You are here:

Girl looking in wallet

Financial support for further education (FE)

If money worries are making it difficult for you to study at college or sixth form, there’s help out there for you.

16-19 Bursary Fund

Are you aged between 16 and 19 and struggling to afford the costs of full-time education or training? You may be able to receive a bursary of up to £1,200 from your school or college if you are in one of the most 'in need' groups:

• you are in care
• you are a care leaver
• you claim Income Support, or
• you are disabled and receive Employment Support Allowance and Disability Living Allowance.

The bursaries will be given out by your school, college or training provider. Ask your tutor or student support for more details.

Find out more about the 16-19 Bursary Fund.

Other bursaries

If you aren’t most ‘in need’ but are still having genuine money difficulties, you may be able to get a bursary from your school or college. This can help pay for things like books or transport. Your school or college will decide on the amount, and how the bursaries are paid. The bursary may be linked to your behaviour or attendance.

To find out more, ask your tutor or student support at your college.

You can find out more information in The 16-19 Bursary Fund: Your questions answered (Adobe PDF).

Child Benefit

Your parent or carer can carry on getting Child Benefit for you up until your 20th birthday, if you’re in education or training that counts for Child Benefit:

  • full-time, 'non-advanced' education (for example 'A' levels)
  • 'approved' training.

You need to have started, enrolled or been accepted for one of these types of courses before the age of 19.

You can't get Child Benefit if you are in:

  • higher education, such as a course at university level
  • education provided by an employer
  • education provided through any office you hold - for example if you have an official role such as scout leader or councillor, and the education is provided as part of that role
  • training that is part of a job contract.

To find out more, go to – Child Benefit.

Register to extend your Child Benefit payments

Are you aged 16 or 17 and have you recently left full-time education? If you are looking for work, education or training, your parent or carer can apply for a 20-week extension of child benefit payments. Just:

The extension normally lasts up to 20 weeks and starts on the first Monday after you stop education or training that counted for Child Benefit.

Help with travel costs

If your family receives certain benefits or tax credits, you may be able to get a coach permit, bus season ticket or grant towards your travel costs. We can help if you have to travel more than three miles to the nearest appropriate further education college or sixth form and attend a full-time course.

To find out more and apply, download the guidance notes and form:

Guidance notes for completing a Sussex schools or colleges travel application form - 2014/15 (Adobe PDF, 548KB) 

Travel assistance for students in further education (Adobe PDF, 32KB)

PS1 application form – print, write and post (Adobe PDF, 287KB)

Please return your form to the Admissions and Transport Team. Applications will usually take three weeks to process.

You can also find out more about other travel discounts in our Travel section.

I have special needs

If you have special needs which mean you can’t use public transport to get to your closest suitable college, you may be able to get help. We can arrange transport to college, usually with other young people.

Find out more by contacting the Admissions Team:

Admissions and Transport Team
County Hall
St Anne’s Crescent
East Sussex BN7 1SG

Phone: 0345 60 80 190


Help with childcare

If you are aged between 16 and 19, want to attend an FE course, but are worried about the cost of childcare, you may be able to claim Care to Learn funding of up to £160 per week.

Find out more at - Care to Learn.

Or you can call the Learner Support helpline free on: 0800 121 8989.

Residential funding

If you have to live away from home to attend a college course, because the course you want to do isn’t available locally, you can apply for funding to help with the cost of accommodation.

Find out more at – Grants and bursaries for adult learners.

I’m over 19 – can I get any financial help?

We cannot offer any financial help to FE students over 19 years of age. You might be able to get help from your college. Talk to your tutor for more details.

24+ Advanced Learning Loans: if you're aged 24 or older you can apply for a loan to help cover tuition fees for courses starting on or after 1 August 2013.

Read more on Connexions 360

Related documents

Average page ratingthreestars(5 votes cast)

Sign in or out of Connexions

Sign In